Wednesday, November 14

A Surprise in the Night

I had some strange dreams last night, mostly the anxiety kind (Did I ever change my last name with the student loan people? Did I remember to sign my promissory note this semester? When do I give my Americorps grant to financial aid? Etc., etc.) I also had a strange body night - I'm at the point where I should quit sleeping on my back (it cuts off oxygen and hurts your back), and sleeping on my belly ain't happening, so it's sleep on the left, flip all the way over, sleep on the right, flip all the way over, sleep on the left, all night long. I practically have to push off from Dave to get the momentum, but luckily he is a deep sleeper and doesn't seem to mind me using his thighs as my platform.

At one point, as I flipped over from my left to my right, I decided to stop on my back for *just a minute* to rest/sleep in the forbidden position, and suddenly I was awake and aware that my t-shirt was drenched on the left side of my chest. I moved my arms, and the bed covers were wet. I sat up and looked around, but of course it was dark, so I frantically felt around the bed, finding the edges where the liquid stopped. I don't want to sound like it was a huge amount of liquid, because it wasn't, but I was still wet and cold and unhappy because... my left breast was leaking breast milk. (To be more specific, it was probably leaking colostrum, which is the precursor to breast milk, but anyway...)

I pulled the wet areas of my shirt up to my nose and inhaled, and yep, that's what it smelled like. Actually, it smelled like this little girl Meghan I used to baby-sit. Kind of warm and sweet and it made me think of rainbows and kittens and fluffy clouds.

I don't know if some dream caused my leakage, or a hormone fluctuation, or Purna the cat crying from some corner of the house and awakening an unknown maternal instinct. I don't know if this is normal or very weird or kind of ho-hum, because I've never heard/read/received any information at all about this topic. It does seem rather taboo, and I even hesitated to write about it at first, thinking, "Who wants to read about my leaking left breast?" But then, for the sake of information and the possible comments this post might produce, I decided a post about my surprise in the night was appropriate. And if you're sqeamish about THIS topic, perhaps you should stop reading the blog until AFTER the baby is born, because it is my understanding that it only gets worse. Can you handle it?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if my comments are family friendly enough to post. So, I will abstain for the time being and just let you know that I nearly spit out my beverage in laughter while reading this at work. Fortunately, I was able to keep it in lest I too would have had a wet boob and work is not a good place to be traipsing around with a damp mammary.

Anonymous said...

boy.....I leave for a short 3 week romp to China and all these changes happen all at once! This is your last chance to divulge (in private, if you prefer) the sex of my grandchild if you want any cute little Chinese outfits, cause they are definitely gender-specific! Wait till you see pictures of the split crotch, too. Rural Chinese don't believe in diapers. What a hoot! I miss you guys, leaky noses and boobs and all!

Sarah Reckess said...

so I tell Dave that I am surprised that I didn't know anything about the leaking breasts, and he claims that he expected leaking breasts. I say, "How?" and he says, "I read it in the book." So at breakfast this morning, I peruse the book index, and yes, indeed, there is one TINY mention of it - in the chapter about month 9! SOMEONE has been reading ahead!

mikal said...

i know! those split pants!
they're great! i wish we could get them here....
i'm telling you sarah
people in other countries potty train from birth...
(hence the split crotch)

mikal said...

make your own split crotch baby pants

:)

http://cuddlebugg.com/misc/pants/pottypants.html

Sarah Reckess said...

So I looked at those split baby pants - what a trip. And what a mess to wash! But I suppose all babies/kids = a mess to wash, so... it's just different.

the pattern didn't look difficult, either. Mikal, you could quit your job, stay home, and make split crotch baby clothes from now on. I can just see you at the sewing machine every day...

Liz said...

Wowy, Sarah, we're gonna know so much about pregnancy after reading your Blog! This is great! Thanks for being the first (at least the first that I know well).

Last night your Blog helped me, even though I'm not pregnant! As you know, I tend to eat so so much yummy food, and when I went to sleep my tummy was bulging full. And as I was falling asleep I thought, "Maybe the amount of food in me is the weight of a 4-month old baby, so I should sleep on my side...". He he. Maybe we should all sleep on our sides after Thanksgiving dinner, what do you think? Okay, yours is probably a lot heavier, and doesn't get digested overnight.