Friday, November 16

A Snowy Morning


This morning we woke up to a dumping of beautiful lake-effect snow, which is soft, fluffy, and clumps to all the tree branches. It was beautiful. I woke up to go to the bathroom, and before I climbed back into the bed I opened our bedroom blinds for Dave to see. You'd have thought it was his birthday- his eyes widened like saucers.

Arlo was curled on his back at the foot of the bed, and Purna was standing on her back feet on our dresser, watching the snowflakes and trying to catch them through the window. Then as I snuggled back into bed, Dave said, "It's baby's first snow day!" At least the first snow day inside the womb. I love snow days like this, especially when I don't have to hurry anywhere. And I can't wait to share them with a little person. Snow = magic.

It's amazing how as the pregnancy progresses and the knowledge grows that soon enough we will add another member to this family, all the things I love about changing seasons and living in a Northern climate are emphasized and seem more celebratory. It's like when you move into a new house and invite important people over, you see everything through their eyes. I'm already seeing all the things I love about this time of year through the baby's eyes, and the baby isn't even here!


Today begins week 17, the last full week of the 4th month. People keep telling us the pregnancy will fly by, and they ain't kidding.

4 comments:

mikal said...

"Mamatoto" is Swahili for "mother-child" the concept is that the mother and child are one, that there is no individual word for the mother and the child because they are always together.

Sarah Reckess said...

I like the Mamatoto idea, but sometimes I don't feel like baby and I are one. Instead I feel like Sigourney Weaver in "Alien." Any minute, this creature will pop out of my stomach and wreak havoc while I'm trapped in space! Really. I have nightmares.

mikal said...

you know what? i felt like that too. you lose complete control over your own body. i used to think about that song "alien" by lamb. but afterwards.. it's different, ya know when they're outside of your body.
just think about the "firsts" of everything, i know you'll enjoy all of them. not that dave won't, but it's really strange to look at them and think... they were living inside of me for 9 months...
and i read in a ton of books that the nightmares are 100% normal when your pregnant. :)

Anonymous said...

you're just trying to tease us northerners stuck in the south, aren't you? ;-P