Sunday, November 18

Goodbye, Martini; Hello, Faketini?

I was at the bookstore yesterday, and among the silly pregnancy books on the shelves (Choose Your Baby's Gender is one such ridiculous title), was one called, The Pregnant Girl's Guide to (non)Alcoholic Drinks, and it included a whole bunch of concoctions to fool you into thinking you were drinking an alcoholic beverage, when in reality you were drinking fruit punch and ginger ale in a spiffy glass. (* I have another beef with the book, specifically the title - I'm still a girl? At what point can I be a woman? If pregnancy doesn't bestow upon me womanhood, then what does? Puh-lease.)

The existence of such a book was puzzling; who needs a fake alcoholic drink book? I'm not sure why going out to the bars as a pregnant person and drinking a Coke is any different than being the designated driver and drinking a Coke, but apparently, some pregnant women crave alcohol because it's forbidden. Or because it's part of their lifestyle.

Today I was talking to my grandma on the phone, and she told me that when she was pregnant with Neil, she specifically asked her ob/gyn if she should stop drinking alcohol. He replied, "Of course you can drink alcohol. Just don't fall down." Then Grandma told me, very matter-of-factly, "And I never fell down."

3 comments:

mikal said...

yea, depends on the ob now
my friend kristina was allowed a glass of wine every now and again any my friend joy was told she wasn't allowed to even smell it
think about this
our parents did fine in their pregnancies w/ us and they were allowed to do all kinds of things!!
besides being told you can't drink alcohol makes so much more sense than diet soda or even hot chocolate!?
my ob said.... things in moderation tend to be ok....

by the way, that does sound like a silly book....

Anonymous said...

Are you saying that there aren't bars where only pregnant women get together order mocktails, and pretend to be inebriated? Because, if that's what you're saying, then I don't know if I can even consider this whole procreation thing.

Anonymous said...

ok, so here's what I would do for fun... memorize a few of those obscure drinks, particularly any that sounded risque. Then when you are 8 months prego, run out to some trendy bar wearing the tightest, belly-bearing shirt you can manage to squeeze into, do your hair up 80's style - lots of hair spray... then loudly place drink order, after drink order (slurring the names as the night goes on) and just waddle around the bar propositioning men.