Friday, November 9

Drum Roll Please - It's a !*&$!%


So Dave and I found out the gender of our baby, kind of by accident. We were having a sonogram yesterday, and the technician asked us if we wanted to find out the gender, and I said yes, and then she told us... but we weren't ready! At least, I thought I was ready when I said yes, but in hindsight, I wasn't. As Dave just said to me, "It hasn't sunk in at all yet." This is true - after she told us the gender, I didn't feel anything. It was like she told me that the baby will want to be a postal carrier when it grows up (this was my dream as a 4 year old). I just didn't feel anything but, "Oh, ok. It's a *&%$#."

How does our reaction affect you? Well, since Dave and I weren't ready to know the gender of the baby, we've decided that you, our dear readers, aren't ready yet either. You'll just have to wait until we've processed this, and then we'll let you know. Maybe.

But the important parts of the sonogram revealed a little person who weighs 7 oz, who has a very active set of legs and arms, and whose heart has developed into four separate chambers which were visible on the monitor. There is nothing like seeing and hearing the heart - 152 bpm and steady. The baby is also laying low, in the "hammock of my pelvis," as the doctor said.

My dentist asked me what gender I wanted the baby to be. "Everyone says a healthy one," she said, "but people have secret hopes." And I made up some answer that wasn't really true to satisfy her. Because I don't really feel strongly one way or the other. Although, in all honesty, I should let you know that there is a little part of me hoping for a girl so that we can continue the women's college legacy, but Dave did remind me that we could just require a son to only date women's college graduates. (This is a joke, of course. We are not the kind of people who will require our son/daughter to only date a certain type of person. I did enjoy the story, though, from a Chinese-American friend who said that after he came out as gay to his parents, his mother said, "You still have to marry a Chinese man and give me Chinese grandchildren." Our parents' expectations of us are often indeterminate until push comes to shove.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was hoping you might slip a pronoun in there and accidentally give yourself away, but you're a crafty one. I suggest that's how you tell us. No big announcement, just an errant he or she somewhere and see if we pick up on it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and do they do digital sonogram pictures these days? Ones that can be posted and we can make our best guess at what the various baby blob parts are? I don't ask for much :-P

Sarah Reckess said...

if we had a scanner, I'd definitely post baby-blob pictures... seeing as how we don't, we might have to beg a friend/relative to let us use theirs, and then we'll upload for you.

good luck looking for a pronoun slip-up. we were already guilty of it before we even found out the gender! so don't trust us. hee hee.

Anonymous said...

I've already have a theory on what the gender of the baby is for some time now....I can't wait to see if I'm right!

mikal said...

when are you gonna tell us!
i want to start shopping!