Thursday, November 1

Our last Halloween without a little Yoda

Dave and I are big fans of Halloween, but being an adult without a child to share it with sometimes makes Halloween just an excuse to drink alcohol. And I like Halloween because of the reasons I loved it when I was 10- the time of year, the creative process, the pumpkin-carving, bobbing for apples, etc. I was the type of kid who planned my Halloween costumes in August, and I still take it pretty seriously, because I think it is a quintessential holiday representing America - specifically, I think that it is unbelievable that you can come up with a bizarre conglomeration of clothes (like the year I was a bag lady - not very sensitive) and walk around your neighborhood with a pillowcase, ring stranger's doors, and get FREE candy. Amazing. As my foreign-exchange student friend Anne-Sophie said after experiencing her first Halloween in the States, "America is beautiful."

Dave and I came home from work/school yesterday, carved pumpkins on the front stoop before the trick-or-treaters showed up, and proceeded to hand out gummi candy shaped like severed body parts for a couple of hours. And I felt so excited... because this is our last Halloween without a kid. And the very thought of experiencing this amazing holiday, one of my ultimate favorites, with a little person dressed in a white sheet is great. I can't wait to plan Halloween costumes in August, and carve pumpkins, and walk around the neighborhood greeting our neighbors and shouting Trick or Treat! I really can't wait.

And I am already, one year early, plotting my little one's Halloween costume for 2008. A baby Yoda - the little green character from Star Wars. Last night I read that we should start looking for cribs soon. But Yoda is much more exciting.

PS: That kitty pumpkin is my creation. Just so you know I didn't steal the picture from someone else's blog and pretend it was my own.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a little Yoda Reckess baby will be adorable! I can't wait!

Renee said...

If I didn't think it'd be weird, I'd give you the Yoda costume we put on our Pug this year. :) Remember me? Your resident 4th floor hooligan? Let's be best blog-friends.

Sarah Reckess said...

I can't wait to be best blog-friends with you, Ms. Sweeney!

where'd you get your yoda-pug costume?

Jacob Reckess said...

is yoda unisex? if "the little one" is a she, does she become a princess automatically? or does yoda exceed all sexes?

Anonymous said...

Oh, don't worry, Jacob. Sarah and I plan on doing our best to make sure that no daughter of ours ends up in a Princess costume.

Now, if our son wanted to dress as a princess, well, that's another story...

Anonymous said...

Here you go: Baby as yoda

Sarah Reckess said...

those baby yoda costumes are awesomely cute. Thanks, Becky! (I kinda want one for myself, to be honest...)