Saturday, October 6

Pregnant Belly as Art?


Yesterday a package arrived for us in the mail which we were not expecting. We opened it to find: a Pregnant Belly Cast Kit. This is a do-it-yourself plaster kit that is described as "Proud Body Pregnancy Art." The idea is pretty simple: like a paper mache mask, this kit helps you cast your pregnant belly forevermore.

We thought this was an especially innovative, funny gift because it came from our friend Sue Smith, who many of you know was an instrumental person in getting Dave and Sarah to become "Dave and Sarah." Without her permission, I am replicating part of her note:

"You are never going to believe me, but a few weeks ago, completely out of the blue I thought to myself, I bet Sarah is pregnant...Anyway, I saw a painted belly cast a while back- didn't think much of it until today. I figured what better homage to Sarah's ta-tas than to make a pregnant monument to them!"

I thought this was especially funny because I have been thinking about how to post an homage to my growing breasts on this blog, and instead of a blog post, now I'm getting to cast them in plaster! So that years from now, people can say, "There's no way they were ever THAT big," when they see our cast.

Dave has asked if HE gets to be the sculptor here and apply the cast, and I think it's only fair because he got us into this mess in the first place.

The kit comes with about 100 different ideas for decorating your pregnancy cast, and if you're interested, go to http://www.doulashop.com and click on "Pregnancy Essentials." They have a pretty extensive art gallery, with some very cool ideas.

If you have any specific suggestions for how and when we should use our cast, post them in the comments section. And think about sharing the pregnancy cast with other pregnant people you know who might really enjoy a gift like this. Thanks, Sue! You're the best!

No comments: