Friday, October 19

My First Puke

My Family Law clinic partner, Joleen, and I travel around Syracuse fighting crime. Not really, but we do spend an awful lot of time together talking about people's problems and how to fix them. So yesterday, we were driving around Northern Syracuse near the airport, completely lost and late for a meeting at a client's house. We pulled into a strip mall to reread our directions and call the client for information. And I don't know if it was the heat (mid-70s and humid) or my long-sleeved shirt or the fact that I had just drank a blueberrry smoothie and it was reacting with some antibiotics I am currently choking down, but I had to puke.

So I said to Joleen, "This is really gross, but I have to go inside that bakery and throw-up now," and I jumped out of her car, raced in, and finally, for the first time in 13 weeks, threw up. Yech. I hate throwing up, and so far I've been able to prevent throwing up in a kind of mind-over-matter fight with myself - one morning I really had to, but the thought of throwing up the blueberry pancakes that I had begged Dave to make went against my constitution, so I just decided, as I sat there next to the toilet, Purna beside me on the bathroom floor watching intently, that I didn't want to throw up. So I didn't. And that's how it's gone for the past 13 weeks. Until yesterday.

I was a little embarrassed about throwing up in the bakery restroom, and that Joleen knew what I was doing, and the counter people could hear my retching. And I felt like I should probably buy something now after misusing their facilities. So I opened the door, prepared to order a Pepsi to settle my stomach, and there was Joleen at the counter, ordering an egg sandwich, as though pregnant women jumping from her car and puking in bakery bathrooms was a perfectly normal occurrence. So we sat inside for a couple minutes, I felt better, and we got back on the road. And when we arrived at the client's home, I felt so thankful that I had gotten all the grossness out of me, because really, the last thing I wanted to do was puke in this client's house.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

let's set the record straight on one thing, which Dave will verify. I can deal with anything, including really yucky, gross, gory injuries and such. But I don't deal with puking. Even if my grandchild throws up, I'm not going to be a good granny and deal with it. Uh uh. Nope. Don't do it. So keep the puking to a minimum please and don't give this kid any ideas! PS - GREAT pictures!

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear, stbb! Okay, here's what we'll do.... Baby pukes over your shoulder, and Not Really Anonymous comes up behind you and cleans up your back and baby's little face. Will that work?

Sarah Reckess said...

how is it that these soon-to-be grandparents get to choose which bodily functions to deal with? Neil said no diapers, Paula said no throw-up... hmm. It's a good thing you both have spouses who will help you out if/when these bodily events occur without Dave and I present.

PS. Purna is mad b/c her litter box isn't clean to her specifications, so as I was just sitting here typing, Purna was urinating in the firewood box where all the newspaper is kept. She is amazingly smart, and we are amazingly bad pet parents. Hopefully we learn a thing or two before April.

Anonymous said...

I am the queen of puke. Or rather, my son, Noah, was the little prince of puke, so I guess I was more like the lady-in-waiting of puke. That kid puked in more places than anyone I know of. Once, when Rachel was being potty trained, we were in the laundromat where I guess the machine vibrations worked on her little bowels and right about when I noticed it, so did Noah. Of course, he puked, so it was a poop-and-puke kind of day for me.

There are too many puke stories to tell, and not just puke, come to think of it, and not just about Noah. I'm an expert on dealing with grossness of all kinds. (Do you remember your boy cousins and their ... I hate to say it...
"Snot Rockets"? They were vile creatures, weren't they?)

So Sarah, if I ever happen to be around when a grossness occurs, I'd be glad to get out my arsenal of tricks. It might be my specialty! I can even suggest a few ways to delay the inevitable clean up, such as throwing a towel over it and stepping out for a breath of air. Leave the door open...

Sarah Reckess said...

My favorite puke story in the whole wide world was a chain-of-puke started by Noah, followed by Rachel and then myself in Bobby's car. I still remember the look on Donna's face when we pulled up in the driveway, puke spewed inside and outside the car. Priceless.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh....I remember that night. We were coming home from The Holiday House. DEFINITELY the best puke story.
And yes, my mother will clean up the yucky stuff...for a while. I have noticed that now when there is a poopy diaper, she hands the kid over to me.

Anonymous said...

Yes, but only because you are now sooooo much better at it than I am! The experts really ought to handle it, don't ya think?

mikal said...

bleh :P
your lucky
i puked for 5 months straight in the sense that when i started i couldn't stop, laying on the bathroom floor kind.
then i moved on for the next 2 months to the "spontaneous puking"
where i'd be somewhere and all of a sudden "i have to vomit right now" but i felt fine right before and after
:D
and then if you're luckier
your kid can be lactose intolerant and puke on a regular basis until you learn to switch them to soy
:D