Tuesday, October 23

65 pounds vs. 2 pounds - the weight debate



So it's not a "real" blog unless you have some kind of celebrity item, right? Time magazine reported this week that supermodel/horror-movie actress Milla Jovovich, at left, gained 65 pounds in the first 4 months of her pregnancy. 65 pounds! If I was to follow her lead... I'd need to eat about 10,000 calories a meal. Maybe I should start heading for the fried chicken stand?

Weight and pregnancy is a tough issue. Each generation receives different information about how much weight is best. Grandma Joan wore pre-maternity clothing out of the hospital with Neil (she barely gained anything); Mom gained 40 pounds with me. My endocrinologist told me she gained no weight in the first trimester, then 50 pounds in the next two. Every body is different, and prenatal advice changes over time. Current standards: moderation, whatever that means.

We received a chart from the ob/gyn that showed how much weight is ideal to gain over the course of the pregnancy, and again, it's an ideal. And we don't own a scale at our house, so my knowledge of how much weight I'm gaining relies on monthly doctor visits and whether I'm rounding out my jeans because my stomach/intestines/internal organs have been shoved up to make room for the baby or I'm actually gaining any weight. At our last check-up, I'd gained two pounds in 3 months, which doesn't mean much. However, for the baby's development and my own energy-level, I do need to start gaining some weight. Last night I ate a HUGE bowl of Breyer's Vanilla Ice Cream, and I felt (1) relief that I'm not constantly ill anymore, and (2) smug that Ice Cream is full of calcium and fat.

Supermodels probably need to gain 65 pounds for the health of the fetus. I probably don't. But I'd like to pack on a little weight soon... if for no other reason, then I'll begin to show a little more. Right now I just feel like an imposter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh don't worry about not gaining much now...it might hit you quickly later and you'll be glad you didn't gain much at first. You might feel like an imposter now, but you'll get plenty of time with the pregnant belly and all the attention you'll get :) I'm so excited to see really pregnant Sarah!

mikal said...

those supermodels are so thin to begin w/
they just need that 65 lbs to make up the difference
i, on the other hand, was ahem, "healthy" enough to LOSE 15 lbs the first 4 months and still be ok
i remember i kept asking my ob and he kept saying it was fine, the baby is really strong in the first trimester

also if you're curious, i asked about the weight thing
he said that the reason our parents and their parents were given such low weights to gain, was because c-sections were so dangerous that they recommended less weight. (at least he told me this was the main reason)
so a smaller baby means less chances of it getting stuck

fyi
i reccomend the belly laughs book by jenny mcarthy
very funny/true stuff