Wednesday, October 3

I Popped! (but just a little bit)

Today I am wearing the pants that are supposed to fit for awhile, but there is a button digging into my tummy.

This morning I woke up, showered, and then woke Dave up by saying, "Look at my tummy. It popped." I wasn't dressed yet, so I didn't know how much I had grown, but I could tell. The belly was sticking out. Dave barely opened his eyes, but he did agree, maybe so I would let him sleep.

It's hard to gage if tummies really change that quickly, or if it's gradual, or if it's wishful thinking. I keep complaining, "But I don't LOOK any different." Although Dave's mom did comment that I am glowing like a tanned beach bum, of which there are generally none in Syracuse, NY. Somedays, especially last week when I had a court appearance and client meetings and was freaking out that my case was going to trial, I didn't think about being pregnant very often at all. But when I'm home, and cooking dinner or washing dishes or playing with the cats, I think about it a lot, and part of what I think about is: what if this isn't true? What if it's all a game? Even though I have photographic proof of a fetus, having a baby can seem really remote at times.

And then I popped, and all day I've been looking down at my tummy, which is not going back into my body any time soon, and I'm silently shouting, "Look at me! It's real! I'm pregnant! Woo-hoo!" Although I'm sure my law colleagues are simply thinking, "Someone needs to lay off the Cheetos."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, no more saying you "popped." Remember Athens? Say you're "pooooshed" out. Later on in the pregnancy, if you say you're going to pop, people will absolutely believe you and dive for cover. Hah!

Sarah Reckess said...

ok, ok, the baby pooshed its way out. I stand corrected. I must remember that we do not push the baby carriage, we poosh the baby carriage in to the booshes.

Anonymous said...

We do NOT poosh the baby carriage into the booshes! Dave, you are now in charge of driving!

mikal said...

i "popped"
i remember i went to ireland for 10 days and my stomach would pop
i never gained weight a little
one week those pants would fit and 3 days later they would not
wait until you wake up one day and find out you not only "popped" out but dropped so far that you can't see ... your underwear when you look at yourself in the mirror
:D
just something to look forward too


take lots and lots of pics of your pregnant belly!!!!!

do it! you'll love it later

Anonymous said...

I know this is soooo 4 weeks ago, but I'm reading this blog again now, and reading the comments that go with it. I must agree with Mikal...take pictures! Honestly, I can still remember being pregnant because it was less than a year ago, and I can remember what that big belly feels like. But I know that will fade and someday I won't be able to remember it so clearly...and I only have about 3 pictures of me pregnant and I so wish I had more! So take pictures! :) by the way...I love love love reading your blog :)

Sarah Reckess said...

Alright, pictures. It's so hard to take pictures b/c you don't think anything is happening. But then you look at them and... wow! Something IS happening. But I'll have to remember to take more, maybe a once a month kind of thing...

mikal said...

i agree w/ rachel, tons of pics is good, even if you don't post all of them
take lots and lots and lots!

i don't have nearly enough and wish I had tons more
esp (i know it's kind of cheesy)
when you see the black and whites w/ the big pregnant belly and the dad kissing the tummy
too cute
plus, it's totally cute to show off your tummy when your preggers