Tuesday, October 2

Dave has Pregnancy Radar

Don't try and hide it from Dave. If you're pregnant, he'll find out. Suddenly he is picking out women on the street, saying, "She looks about 4 months, don't you think?" He is hyper-sensitive to pregnant women. I guess sharing a bed with one cat, a pregnant lady and her large body pillow makes a man aware.

We found out that we were pregnant in Newfoundland, before I had even missed my period. I had known immediately that we conceived, but Dave and I both didn't say anything to each other, hoping not to jinx it by revealing our intuition. Then I started having these sharp abdominal pains, and then Dave said I smelled weird. Not bad, but different. He could tell. He knew I was pregnant.

Once we landed in Newfoundland, I was ill and feeling out of sorts, and Dave got to go grocery shopping in St. John's and bring back to our apartment Saltines and GingerAle. After a few more days of this, and continued abdominal pain, we broached the subject. Were we pregnant? We both thought so, but there was no proof. So Dave hiked back to the store and bought a pregnancy test. And even though it was too early to use it, I went ahead and peed on the stick - and there were two pink lines. Dave's pregnancy radar had officially begun to work.

But the best story is that after Dave's first day of graduate school, he came home and told me that his professor was in her early stages of pregnancy. She hadn't said this, but he claimed it was obvious. Not that obvious, though. Not obvious enough that everyone would look at her and say, "Pregnant lady." Obvious to Dave and no one else.

Then two weeks later, the professor lets it slip in class. Yes, she is pregnant, not much farther along than me. Her confession made Dave smug. He really does have pregnancy radar.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - I've always known that Dave is sensitive, but I had no idea! You guys better beward....this blog is making me want to drive up there very often to watch the pregnancy progress. I'm trying to be a good mother/mother-in-law and keep my distance, but once I'm a Bubi, watch out!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this, STBB. I think we should just follow her around and stare at her.

Anonymous said...

Dude, when we decide to get knocked up I'm staying far far away from Dave until we're ready to share.

Sarah Reckess said...

but becky, then we'll really know b/c you'll be avoiding us. there's no other option but to tell us first and swear us to secrecy.