Friday, February 1

Welcome to the Third Trimester!


Here we are! The third trimester! Hooray!

This information means the following:
1. We attend ob appointments every two weeks until the end of March, and then our appointments occur every week until delivery
2. We only have 12 weeks to go (give or take)
3. I'll probably gain about 1 lb a week from now on
4. The baby has a very good chance of surviving if born at this point
5. We have a lot to do from now until then

Today we had an ob appointment, and I've gained twenty pounds since August. That explains why my back is so sore -- all that weight is right out front. I feel bad for men with big beer bellies. But not as bad as I feel for pregnant women!

We also learned that my stomach is measuring at 30 weeks rather than 28 weeks. No one has really explained what that means, nor is this the first time we've been told as much. At our 20 week sonogram the baby was measuring at 21.5 weeks, but they decided not to change our due date. Today I again asked if they would change our due date, to which we were told no. So what's the point of being told we're measuring two weeks farther along??? I don't really know. The problem with today's medical technology is definitely TMI -- too much information. I'm glad they tell us so much, but then I wonder what I'm supposed to get out of the information, besides concern and curiosity. I'm not worried about this new info, but I am a little tired of being told medical info to which there is no point. If the info could help me plan my school schedule a little better and be better prepared in the event I went into labor two weeks early, then I would welcome the news. But to receive this info and then be told, "It's just something to be aware of," strikes me as false. Why should I be aware of it if I'm not supposed to DO anything with the info? Besides write grumpy rumblings on our baby blog???

2 comments:

1 said...

ah! its getting so close! congratulations all over again.

Anonymous said...

Could it be that they don't change your due date since so many first babies come late?