Friday, February 22

Brain Turns to Mush; House and Car Suffer

I kept hearing about pregnancy brain, which is a symptom of pregnancy that includes scattered thoughts and trouble concentrating. Pregnancy brain is pretty much preparing women for child-rearing, I've been told. But so far, I had escaped. Some minimal incidents occurred, yet they were relegated to forgetting to ask someone a question when I saw them in the hallway or misplacing my eyeglasses in the house. Minor, no big deal...

And then I hit the house with my car. I swear that the house just jumped out of nowhere and got in my way. I pulled a little siding off the house (which I pushed back in) and scraped off a minimal amount of vehicle paint near the wheel well. Otherwise, no harm, no foul.

Then I drove to school, parked in the lot, had a full day, and as I was leaving the parking lot, I put the car in reverse and drove right into the car behind me. I got out and looked - the bumpers touched, the structure of both was unchanged, no paint was removed... again, no harm, no foul. But TWO incidents in one day? After having a stellar record of NO HITS since a 2am occurrence in 2001? How was this happening to me?

I was going to blame the weather. Or lack of sleep. Or lack of caffeine in the mornings. But I have to be honest. I have pregnancy brain.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no!!! Rest assured that as soon as the baby is born, you'll be back to your quick thinking, sharp brained self. No fear of your dropping or forgetting the baby or anything.....I hope!
I love you mushy brained or not.
soon-to-be-a-bubi

Anonymous said...

Ah, what Anonymous isn't telling you is that you get a different kind of mush brain after the baby comes. Having been underused in certain areas for nine months or so, your brain decides to spend all of it's energy now keeping you and the baby safe and healthy, but you will still forget where you put your glasses, you still might leave the house with your shirt on inside out, and I swear, color code everything important so you can scan a room covered in the detritus of living with an infant and at least find the category of the item you want! I'm kidding, I hope you know. Some people never lose any of their minds at all, I've heard. I'm still wondering if mine will ever come back?

Anonymous said...

What a funny story! Mush brain happens to the best of us...it's ok!