Wednesday, February 13

Leg Cramps and Fish Tea

I have leg cramps in my right leg. And they are painful and all-consuming and last days and days and days. I tried foot baths and elevating my feet and drinking lots of water, all without any alleviation.

So Chris the Doula suggested I try some nettle tea, as it helps leg cramps. So...yesterday I went to the health food store and bought some stinging nettles to make into tea, and today after school I steeped the nettles. While I was waiting for the tea to be ready, I busied myself putting away dishes, and as I did, I could smell a strong fishy smell near the sink. I sniffed around, thinking Dave had made a tuna fish sandwich for lunch, or something was rotting in the garbage, or... no. It was the nettle tea. It smells like fish. And anyone who knows me knows that fish is not my friend.

I added honey to the tea, and it doesn't taste that bad (although I do detect some fishiness). The smell, though, is almost over-powering.

Leg cramps or fish tea? Right now the leg cramps are so bad that I'm holding my nose and drinking the steaming, smelly liquid. But really... is there any better way to torture me than fish tea?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blech. Yuk. Ptooey!

Anonymous said...

But did it work????

Sarah Reckess said...

It did work! And the baby loved it.

Anonymous said...

Time for a pre-natal massage, concentrating on the legs maybe?

Sarah Reckess said...

ah, you've hit on a "sore" point - I've had two prenatal massages this pregnancy, and both times I was told that they can't work any higher than the ankles. Massage can cause blood clots in the legs and intensify varicose veins - in fact, when a leg cramp begins, I'm not supposed to rub the leg at all (even though that's what I'm dying to do) - I have to stretch it out instead. A real "pain," let me tell you.

Anonymous said...

Well, tell us more about the fish tea, er nettle tea. What's it supposed to do?

Sarah Reckess said...

Nettle tea improves blood circulation and stops hemorrhaging (good for post-birth), and additionally provides Vitamins A, B, C, E and K. It also does a whole bunch of other things for you non-pregnant folks, like soothing indigestion.

Liz said...

Oh yeah, my midwife housemate goes out and collects nettles in the forest all the time, and she makes us nettle enchiladas and stuff like that, in addition to the tea!