Tuesday, February 19

My Temporary Handicapped Parking Permit


During college my parents lived in Germany, and I was fortunate to visit two summer in a row. One cultural difference that was very new to me, and to most Americans, is the Third Trimester Parking Spaces all over the place. They weren't just in front of doctor's offices; they were in metropolitan parking garages in Cologne, in front of the H&M in Bonn, at the airport in Frankfurt... everywhere.

Fast forward 8 years to Syracuse, New York, the land of winter and ice and everything nice. I love winter, but I am having a bit of a problem with it this year. My balance just isn't what it used to be, seeing as I'm carrying 20 extra pounds right out front, and skating down the icy driveway is no longer fun - now it's terrifying.

I also park in no man's land on the SU campus, and even though it is supposedly "handicap accessible" - the whole thing is uphill on ice.

And there is no such thing as Third Trimester Parking in the States, unless you count my doctor's office and the Babies R Us parking lot.

So I asked my ob if the office could help me acquire a temporary handicap parking permit- and they said certainly. It took a couple of days to figure out HOW to actually apply for a permit in the city, but now I have one. And it has already contributed to my peace of mind substantially. I only use it when the weather is nasty, and since we have a large winter storm rolling in tonight, I am fortunate to have this little red sign in my possession.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm gonna keep this trick in my back pocket. It's gonna be hot in the summer and I wouldn't want to dehydrate.