Saturday, March 15

Mass Chaos Ensues!


We've had a medically-intense week - three doctor's appointments in 7 days, another scheduled next Wednesday, and to top it all off, the veterinarian's office has become our second home due to Purna eating a large wad of ribbon and undergoing emergency surgery on Monday. Whew! The smell of antiseptic is coating our winter jackets!

On Monday, the baby weighed in at a whopping 6 pounds, and I'm on modified bed rest for the next two weeks (we'll be at 36 weeks then) to keep baby from pushing through to the other side. It's too early, baby. You need to stay in there a little longer and bake. But baby is ready to see the world and play with all the great toys we've been given... baby wants to come now, even though our due date is still 6 weeks away. The doctor said our goal is to have the baby hang out for two more weeks, and then we'll see what happens. All of this information led to Dave having a major freak-out and deciding last night that no matter what, he had to put the crib together. JUST IN CASE.

Well. Like I said, I'm on modified bed rest which means I wasn't going to help, and we didn't call a friend over because it was Friday night, and so Dave disappeared into the back room for 4 hours to battle the crib directions all by himself. Let's just say that some major steps in putting together this most important piece of furniture were missing, Dave got cranky beyond belief, and I slept through it on the couch. But now... TA-DA! The crib is ready, except we have no sheets or anything, but still...

Then this morning on the way to pick up a prescription, Dave installed the infant car seat, too. JUST IN CASE. So now we're closer to being ready for the big arrival, even though we really need the baby to stay put for at least two more weeks. Hang on, little one. 'Cuz once you come out, there's no going back in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, this whole the baby-might-be-coming(!!) frenzy has led me to realize that, well, there's a baby coming!!! Not that I didn't realize that before, but I didn't really really realize it, you know? At least not the SOON(!) part! :-) I'm such a bad aunt2b -- haven't been diligently keeping up with the blog and haven't stepped foot in a baby store yet (though I have been working on something for the baby at home, so I guess my cluttered apt is a baby store of sorts:-) ). But I just caught up on my blog reading and it's so exciting!! You're, like, having a baby, dude! Pre-labor contractions and all! Wow. A wee Reckess. Surreal.

Anyway. Just thought I'd share my naive epiphany :-). Also, great job on the crib, David!! And I'm excited that you decided to store the cord blood - definitely a good decision, even if it is a little creepy.

Lots of love, and gentle hugs!

Anonymous said...

Dave, Dave, Dave! You are really, completely, totally a Dad. Welcome to the next 10 years or so of putting stuff together for baby. (Which is when Wee Reckess will probably start putting stuff together all by itself, instead of taking things apart.) I like that new name, Gila!

Anyway, Dave, you did a great job on the crib. Way to go!

Renee said...

Dave, I am uber-proud of you for getting that crib put together. Though I pride myself on my ability to make a rectangular box of parts turn into a bookcase, or perhaps an over-toilet organizer, None of these items has had to support a sleeping infant. When I get stuck at step 122j of putting together our future crib, I'm totally calling you. As for the missus, good job keeping the baby inside. That sounds harder somehow.