Sunday, March 23

For Better, For Worse, In Sickness and In Pregnancy




I was in the bathtub yesterday, turning like a rotisserie chicken. Otherwise my belly gets really cold. Turning, turning, turning. Lah-de-dah. Then I decided to get out... and realized I was stuck. So I called for Dave to help me out of the bathtub, and he willingly obliged.

Then I was sitting on the couch, typing a paper, when the phone rang. The phone sat only inches away, but Dave had to answer it because I couldn't get there in time.

I have to remove my toenail polish by Tuesday morning, but I can no longer reach my toes, so I've already lined Dave up for that job, too.

When we got married, we made all those "for better, for worse, in sickness and health" promises - I just didn't realize that we'd have to make good on those promises so early in our marriage. This time last year, I didn't imagine that ten months later my husband would have to pull me out of the bathtub, or remove my nail polish, or anything else remotely associated with infirmary. But here we are.

I often read that having children affects your relationship with your partner- but I haven't once seen any acknowledgment that pregnancy affects your relationship, too. For better, I hope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just curious, but why do you have to remove your toenail polish by Tuesday?
And... here's a tip from a middle aged (getting fatter every minute) woman... a wet hand towel on the belly when soaking in the tub. Re-dip the towel in the warm water as needed! (I never knew my girth could be helpful to anyone!) Sorry you got stuck. (This is Aunt Donna speaking, though it seems to want me anonymous.)

Emilie said...

Audrey told me about your blog yesterday, so here I am checking it out. I can't wait to get caught up on everything! Hugs - Cousin Emilie

Sarah Reckess said...

Welcome to the blog, Emilie! hugs right back to you.

RE: the removal of my toenail polish - tomorrow is my official conversion to Judaism, and part of that conversion process is an immersion in the mikveh bath. Prior to entering, I have to remove all jewelry and makeup, including nail polish. So it'll be a sad day for my toenails, but a very blessed day for me and Dave.