Wednesday, December 26

Synagogue Singing and Holiday Cheer

We hope people are enjoying their holidays, especially if it includes a little time off work - Dave and I are visiting my Grandma Joan in Colorado, but the internet connection is spotty, so this might be our only post until after the New Year. We're excited for 2008; 2007 was a spectacular year for the Cumbie Reckess house, and so far 2008 is on tap to be even better!

Last Friday evening, Dave, Azzy, Paula and I attended synagogue services at Temple Beth Shalom, where Dave and I are members. It was the first time we've been to synagogue since the baby can "hear" outside noises - and wow! As soon as we began singing, the baby had a party. Approximately 50 people were in attendance, and some of us are louder singers than others (Azzy and I seem to have cornered that market), and with each song, the baby rolled. Dave had read in the baby book that sometimes fetuses are startled by sudden sounds, but the baby didn't seem to be startled at all - more like lulled. Of course, there is quite a difference between a synagogue service and an Ozzy Ozbourne concert, so perhaps lullabyes at services don't startle as much as Crazy Train. Regardless, I couldn't help but feel very pleased that the baby enjoyed my Hebrew, even if I always seem to be a couple of syllables behind everyone else.

I do have to add a second part to this story, though, which was that earlier on Friday I was driving alone, and the song Hey Ya by Outkast came on, to which the baby also responded very postitively. So it appears that our fetus enjoys both a beautiful Friday night service AND hip hop. Maybe we should try an opera?

2 comments:

mikal said...

my kid ALREADY has a preferences for songs! his two favorite right now are electropop by jupiter rising and the way i are by timbaland. and he's been dancing for 6 months now!
so play all the music the baby likes! it's cute to watch them dance!
maybe the baby rolling at temple means they'll really really like going?
:)

Anonymous said...

wow - all that action going on right next to me and I was totally unaware, although I was blown away by your singing! I expect this little one to come out boogey-ing....what music are you going to play for the delivery? And I hope baby likes all the snow out there in Colorado!!!