Thursday, December 13

A Recap of our 20 week sonogram



Last Friday you'd have thought Dave and I were sharing a birthday. I couldn't sleep, I was so excited to meet our little one visually again. We even arrived at the doctor's office 15 minutes early, then sat there and perused all the baby magazines, which we generally make fun of, but this time, we were just a tad more serious.

The tech led us back to the sonogram room, and lo and behold, the very first thing that happened was the tech put her wand up to my belly and the baby kicked for the very first time - kicked the wand, that is. The tech jumped back and said, "Whoa! I guess this baby doesn't want to be disturbed today!" Too bad, little one. We were coming in.

First image we saw: the thumbs up sign. (See bottom photo - the tech labeled it) Click on pictures to make them bigger.

The photo on the top is a profile, baby's head at the right-side and baby's belly on the left. All the black space is amniotic fluid.

Based on all the calculations she added up (length of the baby's femur, circumference of the head, etc) the baby weighed in at 15 oz (almost a whole pound of baby inside me!) and 7 inches long. In fact, baby's size is equal to an average 21.5 week-old, not a 20 week old. Dave and I have thought for some time that we were a little ahead of the due date, and this just proved it. This doesn't mean that the doctors will change the due date, however; we'll have to wait until we're farther into the 3rd trimester for that.

Some highlights of the sonogram: measuring the four chambers of the heart, which are almost evenly divided by a cross, seeing that the baby's stomach was full from our breakfast, observing the baby flex his/her fingers and pulling on his/her ear, observing the baby open his/her mouth VERY wide (like a yawn, only bigger), and while measuring the foot, seeing five perfectly square toes. The tech asked who in our family has square toes, and the answer is, my mom! The first family-likeness comes in the form of square toes; how funny is that?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! What a good looking little person you have growing there. I can't wait to meet him/her in person!!

Anonymous said...

He/she is such a little cutie pie! Nice forehead! Sorry about the square toes, but besides Grams (who we really get the toes from) none of us ever fall down much.

Anonymous said...

Wow, there's really a baby in there. Cool!

K. said...

Congratulations! We don't know each other, but my fiancee, Dan, is friends with Gila.

We found out 2 days ago (on my birthday!!) that we are expecting. I know nothing about pregnancy or being pregnant, so I have read the early parts of your blog with great interest.

I look forward to reading more! Good luck!