Friday, December 21

Our First Foray into Baby Land

Dave and I made our move yesterday, walking back through Target to the scary area where large strollers rise up to the ceiling and infant car seats fall off the shelves at any false move. We weren't there to buy anything, just to get a handle on all this information and get a sense of what's what.

What's what? Dave battled a stroller and still couldn't figure out how it folds up in one motion. I was unable to unhook an infant car seat from its car base. Neither of us knew why the infant area is filled with all the baby princess gear (you can even buy a car seat in hot pink that says, "I'm a princess" all over it. Scary.). Most of the car seats are too heavy for me to pick up (now imagine a 12 pound child in it at the same time). I suddenly wished we didn't live on the second floor of an apartment with no elevator (I told Dave that baby and I will only be going on stroller outings if Dave helps me carry the stroller down the stairs every morning before he leaves for school next summer).

In a word we were: overwhelmed.

So we came home and I took a nap and Dave did chores and then we spent the night going through the baby name book instead, coming up with a list of potentially catastrophic names for baby:

Llewelyn
Dickran
Rainbow
Avril Lavigne

Picking out names for a child is still overwhelming (Do I want to say the name Simone for the rest of my life?), but somehow it feels more manageable at this stage than looking at a crib and wondering if baby's head will somehow get stuck in there or if baby's fingers will be crushed by the infant car seat mobile that you wind up and it plays "It's a Small World After All."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I promise you...you get used to picking up the heavy infant seat - because you will haul the kid around in that thing for a while. Plus...you will get some nice arm muscles from doing so!

Anonymous said...

Simone... hmmmm. That's a girl's name isn't it? As are Rainbow, Llewelyn, and Avril Lavigne. Like I said, Hmmmm. Is this child a girl?

I'd like to offer some already used, gender-neutral options...

Moon Unit
Fraxel (or is it Fraxle?)
Apple (sorta girly)

What about the vegetable kingdom? There are a plethora of possibilities there, such as...

Asparagus - You could call him Gus.
Carrot - stands alone, kinda cute
Persimmon - Percy

Jacob Reckess said...

i just met a Dickran. She was nice. Her sister's name was Majestiq. I think that should enter the running.

mikal said...

don't feel bad, my kid only stayed in that carrier for 3 months
and honestly the stroller....
i completely reccomend getting a carrier instead. esp. for quick outings, it's easier to just put the baby in that and grab what you want. i made one for myself, since the baby bjorn started to hurt my back, and it was adjustable for the back and hip (now that he weighs more)
i dunno why you're worried about carrying the baby... i'm sure the grandparents will take every opportunity to do that for you and take the baby out, and hold the baby....
as to names
sharmonica
barbie
Princess Tiaamii
Audio Science
Fifi Trixibell
Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily
Hopper
Jermajesty
Kyd
Moxie CrimeFighter
Pilot Inspektor
Poppy Honey
(perusing the celebrity baby name list)
and you know how i feel about ESPN

mikal said...

does it feel wierd to pick names out for someone you've never met and know nothing about?

Anonymous said...

personally, I LOVE our stroller. and so does he :) I think it is a good buy. I bought the stroller/carrier combo AND bought a sling type carrier.

Little Dina said...

I think Rainbow Cumbie Reckess is beautiful.