Tuesday, January 8

Quack, quack.


I'm standing in line at the post office, waiting to buy stamps because the self-service stamp machine never has anything in it. I think everyone is staring at me. I try to seem sunny and upbeat and famous, but really I feel self-conscious. Everyone can see that I am pregnant. And everyone is just dying for me to do something "pregnant-y" - like on a sitcom, where suddenly I cannot stop from eating a giant ice cream cone with a pickle on top, or my water breaking while I stand in line. But I am just buying stamps. I am not doing anything "pregnant-y." Unless you count the way I siddle up to the counter, hips swinging, legs apart, like a Western High Nooner getting ready for a shoot-out.

I know that I am beginning to waddle, and remembering how I used to quack at my step-mother when she was pregnant with my brother, it seems like just desserts if someone quacks when I waddle by.

I'm glad that I don't have a white feather coat, or orange sneakers. Because then I really would be mistaken for a duck.

In 4th grade I wrote a short-story about waking up and discovering I had turned into a duck (very Kafka-esque), and in that story I had to waddle all the way to school with webbed feet. I don't have webbed feet, but I have waddling down pat. Dave says I look cute waddling around, but Dave thinks I look cute when I brush my teeth, too, so perhaps he isn't the best judge.

Then I come into the law school clinic on Monday, and the administrative assistant who is also pregnant and due around the same time tells me that she is suddenly so famished that she would eat a whole lasagna for breakfast.

I am hungry, but I wouldn't eat a pan of lasagna for breakfast. Not even for lunch. But I do like bready things, and I will eat any bread item if so presented, including cookie crumbles or stale crackers... and ducks like bready things, especially crumbled, stale items... ergo, I am a duck. Quack, quack.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

people only stare at you because pregnant ladies are so cute!

Sarah Reckess said...

thanks for your kindness - it's a lot nicer to say people stare b/c I'm cute than b/c I look funny!

mikal said...

pregnant ladies are very very cute!
but i used to feel like the penguin... remember danny devito?
lol
close to a duck

no one stares cuz you look funny!
there are pregnant women waddling around all the time! in fact, people probably want to talk to you about it and get really nosy
there's something about being pregnant that makes people feel like they can tell you anything (and i mean anything) that they're thinking.....
ya know... i had an offwhite, long maternity coat.... i wonder if anyone thought i was duck...
now i know why they stared at me.... :P

Anonymous said...

Just yesterday, a pregnant client was in the garden shop where I work. She had her 14 month old daughter with her and I instantly turned into her best friend, telling her all about my grandson (nearly 13 months) and how great it is to be a grandmother. Yikes. I couldn't believe myself. To her credit, she joined in the conversation, instead of just looking at me funny and walking away. Or maybe she wanted to buy something... anyway, if I were around you, I'd do the same thing, cuz pregnant ladies really are cute!