Wednesday, January 9

NEWS FLASH: Baby Joins the Traveling Wilburys

We've been living in a Traveling Wilburys world lately - Dave bought me the CD/DVD collection of the greatest musical supergroup that ever existed for my birthday, and we play it pretty much nonstop now. [For those who don't know, the Traveling Wilburys consisted of (from left to right) Bob Dylan, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, George Harrison, and Roy Orbison, and they put out their music in the late 80s/early 90s]

So today I came home from the clinic office to find that Dave had learned not one, but two Wilburys' songs on the guitar. The songs were a little rusty (after all, he had just learned them), but as soon as Dave started playing, we were singing and having our very own Traveling Wilburys concert.

And the baby, who had been so quietly hanging out in utero today as I went to court and won a custody case (yay for my client!) and then completed a whole bunch of paperwork, etc, etc (oh, the glamorous life of an attorney)... the baby, after being quiet all day, suddenly was pushing against my belly like his/her ear was pressed right up to the side. Dave and I sang, and baby was PRESENT. This is interesting to me, because baby wasn't kicking or moving, just THERE. All day baby had been hanging around and I couldn't tell you where baby was located, but as soon as the guitar came out and the singalong began, baby was as far forward in the uterus as he/she can get. If baby could have pushed through to the other side, baby would have been rocking out with us.

I've read that at this stage of pregnancy, a fetus's hearing is developed enough that it can respond to sudden noises (like it'll suddenly startle at the scary part of the movie because of the music). But this was different - baby was responding to the guitar/singing, which I guess I could argue is a sudden noise, but we were no louder than the hair dryer, and baby doesn't give a poop about hair dryers. But baby has let it be known that guitars are different, especially if there's singing involved... and especially if it's my first love (Dave) imitating my second love (Tom Petty).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How neat! I can just picture this little tyke trying to get out and join the dance party. Lets hope your tastes in music remain similar throughout those lovely teenage years! Love to you, baby and the Wilburys. Bubi-to-be

K. said...

Congratulations on starting to raise your child with good music right off the bat!

I had my very first ob app. the 9th - and I'm 9 weeks along. I saw the baby jump when I laughed - what an amazing sight!

I love reading your blog to find out what I have to look forward to!

mikal said...

play the music for him when they get out too
i'm sure they'll love it