Monday, January 14

Our First Childbirth Prep Class

Last night was our first childbirth preparation class, hosted by the hospital where we will eventually give birth. We did icebreakers about the best part of being pregnant (one guy said all the cute maternity outfits his wife now wears, and everyone replied, "Awwwwww.") and we practiced some relaxation exercises on the floor and we watched a video of a birth. The best part of the video was that the mom and dad were from Boston and they constantly said, "Wicked," in total sincerity, like, "Honey, this contraction is wicked bad," and "Sitting in the shower while being in labor was a wicked good idea."

But then we saw the actual birth, and whoa. The mom was pushing and then the dad saw the head of the baby and started crying and then the baby was pulled out and placed immediately on mom's belly and mom was crying. Since all the people in the video were crying, I began crying, but then the video was over immediately and the presenter turned on the lights and I had snot and tears all over my face. I looked wicked glamorous.

The best part of the class: staring at all the pregnant bellies and comparing due dates with belly sizes. And not being the only pregnant lady in a group of people.

The worst part of the class: being asked to share our bodily changes with everyone, and when I mentioned that my breasts leak (not a lot, but often, and I have to keep washing my pjs more frequently than I would like) there was a nice, deafening silence. Apparently we can watch babies be pushed out of women's vaginas, but we cannot talk about leaking breasts. Hmph.

Classes run for 5 weeks, and are 2.5 hours every Sunday night. So if we're not around on a Sunday night, it's because we're trying to learn something about newborns and delivery and labor. And we're trying to make some friends, even if I am the pariah known as the woman with the leaking breasts. I hope another couple will want to sit with us next week. Otherwise I'll be wicked sad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rich and I came up with names for the other couples in our class. Our favorite was "The Fashion Couple" who wore designer clothes to the classes. We sometimes wonder how their little kid turned out...with their little Gucci shoes and Prada diaper bag.

K. said...

We are thinking of taking these classes too. I'll be curious as to whether you find them helpful (or at least fodder for good jokes!) :)

mikal said...

what do you do in these classes?
other than talk about leaking breasts and wicked labor pains?